Sunday, October 21, 2012

community market

Well, I have managed to miss almost all of the Community Market this year. Yesterday was the penultimate Saturday, and I did make it down there under my own steam. (0.28 mile, counting the jog up to Mulberry to cross Carroll with a light, 13 minutes. Even crossing with a light was a little scary, as the light at Mulberry is much too short, even for people without healing ankles. And a fresh gust of south breeze blew my empty shopping bag out of  my stroller as I crossed. I did NOT attempt to retrieve it.)

I was hoping that the last hold-outs of the  farmers along the curb would be there, including Mrs. Beatty from whom I  could get a tongue and some ground beef, but their season is evidently over. The Community folks were going strong, though. I talked to some of the craft-persons, who said it has been quite a good summer. Good news for being a vendor next year.

Sadly, the tomatoes were gone entirely. Guess fresh homegrown local tomatoes -- the only kind worth eating --  are off the menu for the next six months. Bright red bell peppers were in some abundance, as well as pipsqueak eggplants, and early greens. So I got a pretty good stroller-ful of goodies.

I bought tiny eggplants, some tomatillos, and mustard sprouts from  this gentleman. His partner was kind enough to  to document the occasion. I think this was Denton's Backyard Farms' booth.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home