Wednesday, December 21, 2005

a very good place to start . . .

So, I got the jewelry-making journal set up, and figured I wanted to talk about more than that, and have a good place to record what I see in the back woods here, and what I do out at Clear Creek. Therefore, ta-daa --- web journal #2!


To start the photos, here's my recent prize, taken Saturday 10 December out at Clear Creek. Maybe it's because of the drought, or maybe the cold weather makes dusk and night too cold to be active, but there are droves of armadillos rustling around in the underbrush in broad daylight. I've already put this one on the web on the Master Naturalist site, with a little "find the hidden armadillo" activity. (The previous pic of the same critter had it virtually hidden, even though at the time its noise made it perfectly obvious.)

I have been out to Clear Creek to work twice in the last couple of weeks - more than in most of the year previous. But I haven't gotten away from the house now much since last Wednesday, so mostly I have been observing the birds that have finally started coming to my sunflower seeds - took 'em a couple of weeks to realize there was good stuff to be had. Nothing exotic - jays, cardinals, juncos, chickadees, a downy woodpecker. And of course several squirrels.

The weather continues pretty chilly, but nothing like two weeks ago when it got down to 15° or so. Today actually warmed up to almost 60°, for a change, but it will be back into the thirties again tonight. Not too low though - it's 40° now at 11pm.
Yesterday it actually rained, a nice soaking drizzle, maybe a whole quarter of an inch. It will have to do better than that to make up for a virtually precipitation-free autumn.

Ha - I have chocolate-chip coffee-cake in the oven, and it is smelling done. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home